Below is a list of common questions that are asked. If you have additional questions please contact us and we will be happy to supply the answers you need.

What is Head Start?

Head Start FAQs | WOCAP | West Ohio Community Action PartnershipHead Start is a comprehensive program for children and their families. Children with disabilities are encouraged to enroll. We offer two programs for children and families:

Home-Based: A home based teacher, child, and family work together to provide activities and experiences designed to meet the child’s needs in the home environment for 1.5 hours.

Center-Based: A teacher and assistant teacher provide an experience designed to meet each child’s needs in the classroom. Class sessions are half-day and last 3.5 hours.

What services are provided?

Speech, hearing, vision, and developmental screenings, GED classes, Parenting classes, and various training classes. Transportation to the center may be provided for eligible children and each child receives a free snack, breakfast and/or hot lunch daily. Field trips and family days are taken throughout the year.

What are the requirements?

  • Is your child age 3 by August 1, 4 or 5?
  • Do you live in Allen County?
  • Does your family meet income guidelines?
  • Does your child have a documented disability?

If you can answer YES to any of these questions, your child may be eligible for Head Start.

Is there a fee?

No, there is no charge for Head Start.

How is the family involved?

Parents are involved in decision making and in carrying out the program’s activities. They serve on Parent Policy Council and work as volunteers in the classroom. They also help to develop educational and social activities for their children.

During the application process, you will need the following information:

  • Proof of Income (case status sheet or W-2)
  • Medical Card (if any)
  • Child’s Birth Certificate or a copy
  • Parent & Child’s Social Security Card
  • Updated Shot Record
  • Two Emergency Contacts
  • Name of Family Doctor
  • Name of Family Dentist
  • Custody Papers (if any)
  • Documentations of Special Needs (if any)

Is transportation provided?

Transportation is provided by bus to several of our classroom sites within the boundaries set by the agency.